Chicken, Leek & Bacon Pie.
This dish is from again the book of Little and Friday from Kim Evan . Another winter classic, the addition of bacon and cheese makes this pie extra hearty and rich.
Flaky pastry enough to fill bottom of pie dish and for the lattice lid: either made by you or pre-rolled. I find this easier only due to time .
75g unsalted butter
4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
1kg chicken thighs fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
4 leeks, chopped
½ teaspoon thyme
1/3 cup flour
3 ½ cups chicken stock
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ cup Italian parsley, chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- grease one large or six 9cm round pie dishes.
- On a floured surface, roll pastry to 4mm thick and cut in half reserving one half for the lattice top. Use other half to line pie dish. Allow to rest in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter over a medium high heat. Saute bacon until just browned. Set aside.
- Add chicken to pan and brown for approximately 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Lower heat, add leeks and thyme to pan and soften. Set aside.
- Add flour to remaining butter in pan to form a roux. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add chicken stock, one cup at a time, to create a thick sauce.
- Add chicken,bacon and leeks to sauce. Cook for 20 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sauce from catching. This mixture should be thick enough for the chicken and leeks not to sink to the bottom. Add mustard and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200c. Fill pastry lined pie dish with chicken filling to the rim. Top with grated cheese.
- Cut remaining pastry into thin strips for lattice lid.
- Paint pastry lined rim of pie with egg wash. Lay pastry strips across pie filling and firmly press with your fingers to seal edges. Trim overhanging pastry with a sharp knife. Glaze pastry with the remaining egg wash and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.